Was organized the same time as East Finley, on the 24th of December, 1828. Its boundaries are Donegal on the north, East Finley on the east, Greene County on the south, and West Virginia on the east. This township is centrally distant southwest of Washington 17 miles. It is chiefly drained by Templeton's and Robinson's forks of Wheeling Creek. The population in 1860 was 1453, of which 33 are colored, with four stores. It has ten school-houses employing five male and five female teachers, the former receiving $27.19 and the latter $23. 03 per month, with 468 scholars, 251 males and 217 females, the tuition costing per month 65 cents; taxes for school purposes $1468.70, and its State appropriation $146.25; levied for building purposes $587.48.
Its towns are Good Intent and Burnsville.
Burnsville is in the southern part.
Good Intent and Burnsville are small thriving villages.
The greatest length of this township is 9 miles, breadth 4 1/2 miles. There is a Presbyterian church on the northwest of Burnsville, and Disciple church north of the same town.
In this township the United Presbyterian congregation is under the care of Rev. J. A. McKee.
# # #
Source: HISTORY of WASHINGTON COUNTY, From Its First Settlements to the Present Time, second edition, revised and corrected by Alfred Creigh, LL.D., Harrisburgh, Pa., B. Singerly, Printer, 1871. Reprinted 1987 Closson Press, Publishers.