Stream South Branch of Pigeon Creek
Truss Type Queenpost
Length 36 ft.
Width 12 ft.
This Queenpost bridge design is constructed with vertical plank siding on both the sides and portals, is painted barn red inside and out, with a tin-covered gable roof, and a deck of crosswise planking. The Letherman also has two windows on each side in addition to the narrow eave openings. The deck is supported by a framework of heavy timbers resting in the center of the streambed, and the entire structure rests on a concrete abutment at one end and a combination of stone, mortar, and concrete at the other end. There are also moderate length stone-and-mortar wingwalls capped with concrete. Although the year of the Letherman's construction is unknown, it can be inferred that the bridge was built after 1860 because all of the timbers of the Queenpost construction are sawed. It is also unclear who the bridge was named after. Local lore indicated that it was named after Joseph Letherman, one of the area's earliest doctors who lived in the vicinity for a brief period of time.