Covered Bridges of Washington County

<<-Previous       Next->>

THE JACKSON'S MILL BRIDGE

Stream          Kings Creek
Truss Type      Queenpost
Length          35 ft.
Width           14 ft.
Builder         unknown
Year            unknown
Ownership       County

____________________________________________

Jackson's Mill bridge has outlived any record of its construction. There is record that a petition was filed in 1865 for a bridge to be built at this site. However, in many counties bridge records were not kept, as is the case in Washington County. Therefore, it is possible that this is a later bridge. The bridge is rumored to have been named after William Jackson who owned a grist mill near the bridge site in the 1870s and 1880s. Located in a remote county valley, its design is consistent with various area covered bridges. It is covered with vertical board siding on both the sides and portals, painted barn red both inside and out-except for the replaced boards, which are unpainted - the roof is sheet metal, the deck crosswise planking, and the sides have two windows located at the ends in addition to the eave openings. The deck is reinforced with wooden, trestle-type supports which rest in the streambed. It sits on cut stone-and-mortar abutments laid up on concrete footings that are extended to form stone-and-mortar wingwalls. One of the wingwalls has been replaced with concrete.

<<-Previous       Next->>