Covered Bridges of Washington County

<<-Previous       Next->>

THE ERSKINE BRIDGE

Stream          Middle Wheeling Creek
Truss Type      Queenpost
Length          39 ft., 6 in.
Width           11 ft., 8 in.
Builder         William Gordon
Year            1845
Ownership       County

_______________________________

The Erskine Bridge is the oldest bridge remaining in Washington County and has the typical vertical plank siding on the sides and portals. A tin-covered gable roof and a plain box-like appearance. Painted barn red both inside and out, it has a deck of crosswise planking, and two windows on each side with narrow eave openings. The structure rests on stone-and-mortar abutments reinforced with concrete and heavy timbers resting in the streambed. It also has short concrete wingwalls on the north end and attractive, short stone-and-mortar wingwalls on the south end. The Erskine sits one tenth of a mile from the border of West Virginia, making it the farthest west of any bridge in the state of Pennsylvania.

<<-Previous       Next->>