"Is situated in Hopewell township, and was erected into a borough on the 27th day of March, 1823.
"It is in the northwest part of the township, eleven miles from Washington.
"It contains ninety-two dwelling-houses, six stores, one confectionary, the usual number of the mechanical professions, one extensive machine shop, one tannery, a United Presbyterian church, and a Wesleyan Methodist Protestant church, a Disciple church, with Rev. T. A. Crenshaw, pastor of the Disciple church at Middletown, and a colored Methodist church, and a population of about eight hundred. It contains two schools, with one male and one female teacher, the former receiving $56.00, and the latter $31.00 per month, with ninety-six scholars, fifty-two males and forty-four females, tuition costing eighty-seven cents per month. Amount of tax levied for school purposes, $701. 00, receiving from the State $42.50.
"The pastors who have filled the pulpit of the United Presbyterian church of West Middletown, were Rev. S. Findley, D. D., Rev. William Wallace, D. D., Rev. S. Taggert, from 1835 until the present time. It has a membership of 128.
"But few of the present generation are aware that the celebrated Robert Fulton, of steamboat notoriety, owned a farm in Hopewell township, in this county. The farm contained about eighty-four acres, and the patent granted by the State to Rev. Joseph Smith, December 12, 1785. On May 6, 1786, Thomas Pollock sold it to Robert Fulton, and his father, mother, and three sisters resided on it. After the death of his father the widow and three daughters resided upon it. About 1799 his mother died. In 1814 Robert Fulton made his will in the city of New York, and among other legacies he left to his sister Elizabeth, married to a Mr. Scott, one thousand dollars and the above farm, with all the stock, during her life, and at her death to be sold and divided. To his sister Isabella Cooke he left two thousand dollars, and to each of the children of his deceased sister Mary Morris he left five hundred dollars. Both Mrs. Cooke and Mrs. Morris resided in the town of Washington."
"This was the eighth of the thirteen original townships organized July 15, 1781. It was bounded on the north by Amwell township, on the east by Bethlehem, on the south by Cumberland, and on the west by Donegal and the Virginia line.
"On the 9th of February, 1796, with Cumberland, Franklin, Greene, and Rich Hill townships, was struck off from Washington County, and formed Greene County."
# # #
Source: HISTORY of WASHINGTON COUNTY, From Its First Settlements to the Present Time, second edition, revised and corrected by Alfred Creigh, LL.D., Harrisburg, Pa., B. Singerly, Printer, 1871. Reprinted 1987 Closson Press, Publishers.