"Is bounded on the north by Somerset, on the east by Somerset and E. Bethlehem, on the south by Greene County, and on the west by Amwell and S. Strabane. This township is centrally distant from Washington 15 miles. In 1860 it contained a population of 1961, of which 4 were colored. It has 13 schools, with 652 scholars, of which 324 are males and 228 females; the cost of tuition per month being 98 cents; the total amouut of tax levied for school and building purposes, $2421.97; the State appropriation being $193.83. Its length is 10 miles; its breadth, 6 miles.
"The towns are HILLSBOROUGH [Note: Now Scenery Hill] and ZOLLARSVILLE. Hillsborough [Scenery Hill] is on the National Road, midway between Washington and Brownsville, 11 miles from each. It contains 38 dwellings, 3 preachers, 5 physicians, 3 shoe shops, 2 saddle and harness shops, 1 hotel, 1 blacksmith shop, 1 wagon-maker shop, 1 cabinet-maker, 2 carpenters, 4 stores, a Presbyterian and Methodist Episcopal church. It is elevated 1750 feet above tide water - 917 feet above the Monongahela River at Brownsville, and 1002 feet above the Ohio at Wheeling. It was laid out by Stephen Hill and Thomas McGiffen, Esq., deceased, and has a population of 180 inhabitants.
"The land upon which Hillsborough was laid out, was patented, September 15, 1784, by Wm. Hill, Esq., and named Springtown and, contained 393 7/8 acres, for and in consideration of three pounds five shillings and sixpence. This tract is now divided, thus the land upon which the town is laid out, and the respective farm of 0liver Lacock, Valentine Kinder, John Taylor, and Joseph W. Cowan, Esq. The aggregate value of these tracts is estimated at $75,000.
"The first church in Hillsborough was erected about 1850 by the Presbyterians and Lutherans; the second church, by the Methodists, in 1852, by Hiram Winnett. Before their erection divine service was preformed in the school-house. The Methodist denomination has had the efficient services of Revs. J. White, Geo. S. Holmes, Wakefield, Hudson, Yarnell, and many others who have labored successfully in the caused of their Divine Master. The Methodist church has about eighty members.
"The first postmaster was the late Samuel Stanley. He worked at the carpenter business in 1810 at the large storehouse of Oliver Lacock; settled and became a resident of the place, and died ten years since at an advanced age. As a man, citizen, a Christian, and a Freemason, he had no superior. His daughter fills his place in the post-office department.
"Zollarsville is on the north branch of Tenmile Creek, 16 miles from Washington. It was laid out by Stephen Ullery in 1856, and is small and thriving village. Near the residence of ex-sheriff. R. Smith is the remains of an Indian fort. The entrenchment around the fort, which can yet be traced, is about 100 feet from the fort. Bones, pipes, arrows, &c, have been found. None of the inhabitants of the surrounding country can trace its origin; but a tree was lately cut down within the inclosure [sic] of the grounds of the fort and its age, according to the mode of computing the age of trees, amounted to about 300 years. Coal is found at 180 feet, and salt water at 400 feet.
"There is a Methodist Episcopal church northwest of Zollarsville, and a Dunkard Baptist church near Mr. Wherry's.
"This township has a number of grist and saw-mills.
"Half a mile below Hillsborough there was erected an Episcopal church, under the supervision of Rev. Joseph Dodridge (but the site can only now be traced) near George Taylor's Esq."
# # #
Source: HISTORY of WASHINGTON COUNTY, From Its First Settlements to the Present Time, second edition, revised and corrected by Alfred Creigh, LL.D., Harrisburg, Pa., B. Singerly, Printer, 1871. Reprinted 1987 Closson Press, Publishers.