This township was organized March 31, 1836, from Peters and Nottingham townships. On September 1, 1846, the boundary lines between Union and Peters were confirmed by the court, and another change and confirmation took place at the November term 1862.
Its boundaries are Allegheny County on the north, Allegheny County and the Monongahela River on the east, Carroll township on the south, and Peters and Nottingham on the west. It is centrally distant from Washington 14 miles. In 1860 its population was 1452, of which 10 are colored. Greatest length 6 miles, breadth 3 miles. It has nine stores, seven schools, employing four male and three female teachers, at $40 per month, with 435 scholars, 229 males, 196 females; the cost of tuition being 75 cents per month; taxes levied for school purposes $1776.11; State appropriation $141. 96.
Its towns are Limetown and Finleyville.
Finleyville is on the road from Washington to Pittsburg, 12 miles northeast of Washington. It was laid out by a sea-captain who purchased the land and named the place Rogue Alley, after the name of his ship. He sold it to James Finley and Mr. Mellinger, about 1790, from which time it bears the name of Finleyville. It has a population of about eighty, and also an Odd Fellows' hall.
Limetown is on the left bank of the Monongahela River. The town is chiefly composed of miners, there being many large and extensive collieries in the immediate vicinity of the place. The town may be said to extend about four miles, the houses being built upon lots, on the narrow strip of land between the Monongahela River and the abrupt hills, under which lie immense strata of bituminous coal.
There are about 650 inhabitants. Several extensive stores are doing a successful business.
In connection with the original history of this township, we may state that John Wright, father of Enoch Wright, Esq., N. Powers, and another man started with produce to New Orleans, and below Wheeling were attacked by the Indians in ambuscade; after wounding several Indians, Wright and Pomeroy were captured, Powers being wounded was killed, but Wright was burned at the stake after being taken to Sandusky.
Near Findleyville[sic] is a Seceder church which was organized about 1832 ; the last minister was Rev. Thomas Callohan.
The Presbyterian church of Mingo was organized in the year 1786. It is two miles south of Findleyville on a branch of Mingo Creek. From the records of the Redstone Presbytery, I find that Mingo Creek, Horseshoebottom, and Pike Run churches applied to Presbytery for a minister on August, 15, 1786. Rev. Samuel Ralston, D.D., was its first regular pastor. He was ordained and installed November 30, 1796, and took charge of this congregation and the one at Monongahela City, formerly Parkinson's Ferry, although he afterwards resigned its charge in 1836. He officiated in Mingo Creek for forty years. His successors were Rev. Mr. Shotwell, Rev. James M. Smith, Rev. John R. Dunlap, Rev. Mr. Rockwell, Rev. Mr. Greenough, and Rev. J. J. Beacom. At present they have no settled pastor.
In 1828 a Sabbath-school was organized. In 1864 it had thirteen teachers and eighty-four scholars, with a library of three hundred and eighty-two volumes.
In February, 1794, the Mingo Creek Society was organized; it consisted of Col. Hamilton's battalion, and was governed by a president and council. The electors were those subject to military duty of eighteen years of age and upwards, who elected their respective captains in certain districts, and these captains elected the council, who by the constitution were required to be not less than twenty-five years of age. One councilman was chosen for each district. It met monthly at Mingo Creek meeting-house on the first Friday of each month.
This society had power to hear and determine all matters in variance and dispute between parties, encourage teachers of schools, introduce the Bible and other religious books into schools, encourage the industrious and men of merit. No money could be expended unless by vote of the society.
# # #
Source: HISTORY of WASHINGTON COUNTY, From Its First Settlements to the Present Time, second edition, revised and corrected by Alfred Creigh, LL.D., Harrisburgh, Pa., B. Singerly, Printer, 1871. Reprinted 1987 Closson Press, Publishers.