This township was formed May 3, 1831, by a division of Strabane township, and is bounded on the north by North Strabane and Chartiers; on the east by Somerset and W. Bethlehem; on the south by Franklin and Amwell, and on the west by Washington, Canton, and Franklin. Its greatest length is 9 miles; breadth 4 1/2 miles. In 1860, the population was 1063, of which 53 are colored. It contains seven schools with seven female teachers, who receive thirty dollars per month, having 232 scholars (126 males and 106 females); tuition costing $1.46 per month. Amount levied for school purposes $1189.12; received from the State appropriation $103.35.
The towns are Cloakeyville and Williamsburg, although sometimes called Martinsburg The former is situated on the Williamsport and Washington turnpike, six miles from Washington, and the latter on the national road two miles east of the borough of Washington. On the 28th of February, 1863, the lines between Canton and South Strabane were confirmed by the court.
November 8th, 1857, the township lines between Canton, Chartiers, and South Strabane were confirmed by the court, the question having been referred to a vote of the people.
# # #
Source: HISTORY of WASHINGTON COUNTY, From Its First Settlements to the Present Time, second edition, revised and corrected by Alfred Creigh, LL.D., Harrisburgh, Pa., B. Singerly, Printer, 1871. Reprinted 1987 Closson Press, Publishers.