Listings for Washington, Pennsylvania

Back to Map

1929 Route 519 South
Canonsburg, PA 15317
Phone: 724-745-8880


By decision of the Court of Quarter Sessions on the 2d day of May,.1831, Strabane township was divided into North and South Strabane. 'I'his township is bounded on the north by Cecil, Peters, and Chartiers; on the east by Peters and Nottingham; on the south by Somerset, South Strabane and on the west by Chartiers and South Strabane. Its greatest length is 6 miles; breadth 6 1/2 miles. In 1860 the population was 1213, of which 48 are colored.

Munntown is the only town in the limits of the township with a population of sixty.

The township has two stores, six schools, with two male and four female teachers, each receiving per month $30, with 285 scholars, of whom 130 are males and 155 are females; cost of tuition per month 77 cents. Amount levied for school purposes, $1463.06; received from the State appropriation $119.34.


Lived and died at the "Morganza" farm, two miles below Canonsburg, in this township. He was appointed Indian agent as early as 1776, and held the appointment until 1779, when he resigned. During the time he held the office, he made Pittsburg his head-quarters. History represents him as a man of unwearied activity, great perseverance, and familiar with Indian manners and habits. He won their confidence by his frank manner, soldierly bearing, generosity, and strict honesty. After an eventful military life, being an officer in the United States army, he retired to his Morganza farm, and devoted himself to agricultural pursuits, and the high honor belongs to North Strabane township of one of her sons (Col. Morgan), on the 7th of February, 1786, receiving a gold medal from the Philadelphia Society for Promoting Agriculture, for furnishing the best Essay on a Farmyard. Hon. Timothy Pickering, in the letter forwarding the medal, says: "It is the first premium ever given in America in agriculture." The medal is in the possession of David T. Morgan, Esq., of Washington, Pa. It is of gold, one and three-fourths inches in diameter; on the obverse side, a farm-house with a man ploughing with two oxen; on the reverse, the motto, "Venerate the Plough."

# # #

Source: HISTORY of WASHINGTON COUNTY, From Its First Settlements to the Present Time, second edition, revised and corrected by Alfred Creigh, LL.D., Harrisburgh, Pa., B. Singerly, Printer, 1871. Reprinted 1987 Closson Press, Publishers.

website design by Digital Greys © 2017