"Was one of the original townships, organized July 15, 1781. It was at that period bounded by Straban [sic] and Fallowfield townships on the north, the Monongahela River on the east, Amwell and Franklin townships on the south, and Amwell on the east.
"Application was made to the Court of Quarter Sessions on March 13, 1788, to divide the township into East and West Bethlehem townships, and on the 18th of January, 1790, the court directed the division to be made by a straight line running from Peter Drake's to Weise's mill.
"On the 29th of March, 1788, before the division of the township, we find Michael Simon and Anne Ottia his wife conveying to the trustee of the Dutch Presbyterians two and a fourth acres of land situate on Brush Run, a branch of Tenmile Creek, to be used for divine worship, and teaching of school, and a burial-ground.
"April 12, 1792, Joseph Townsend and wife conveyed to James Crawford, Nathaniel Heald, Abraham Smith, John Townsend, John Heald, and Isaac Jenkinson, as trustees of the Quaker Westland meeting-house, a certain lot of ground, containing twenty acres, for a meeting-house, burying-ground, and other necessary purposes, in consideration of twenty pounds, Pennsylvania currency. This land is on the draws of the Monongahela River and Twomile Run. "
# # #
Source: HISTORY of WASHINGTON COUNTY, From Its First Settlements to the Present Time, second edition, revised and corrected by Alfred Creigh, LL.D., Harrisburg, Pa., B. Singerly, Printer, 1871. Reprinted 1987 Closson Press, Publishers.