"The town of ClaysviIIe is in Donegal township, and was erected into a borough the second day of April, 1832, and the lots sold on the 8th of May following. Each lot is fifty by two hundred feet deep, with suitable and convenient streets and alleys to each block. The town is on the National road from Cumberland to Wheeling, beautifully located, well watered, in a fertile section of the county, and with a good population.
"It has eighty-five dwellings, two churches - a Presbyterian and Methodist Episcopal - a tannery, a steam mill, four stores, one confectionery and one distillery, with a population of four hundred and sixty-seven; two schools employing one male and one female teacher, ninety-two scholars, thirty-eight males and fifty-four females, tuition costing per month seventy-two cents; amount levied for building purposes five hundred and sixty-four dollars and thirty cents; receiving from the State appropriation forty dollars and nineteen cents; amount levied for school purposes, five hundred and sixty-four dollars and thirty cents."
# # #
Source: HISTORY of WASHINGTON COUNTY, From Its First Settlements to the Present Time, second edition, revised and corrected by Alfred Creigh, LL.D., Harrisburg, Pa., B. Singerly, Printer, 1871. Reprinted 1987 Closson Press, Publishers.