On the 23d of April, 1792, Canton township was formed by a decree of the court, bounded on the north by Chartiers, on the east by Chartiers, Washington, and Amwell, on the south by .Amwell, and on the west by Hopewell.
Its present boundaries are Mount Pleasant and Chartiers on the north, Chartiers, South Strabane, and Washington on the east, Franklin and Washington on the south, Hopewell and Buffalo on the west. The National turnpike and Hempfield railroad passes westerly through this township. It is drained by Chartiers' Creek and its tributaries. It adjoins the borough of Washington. The population, in 1860, was 587, of which 39 were colored. It has five schools employing two male and three female teachers, the former receiving $30 and the latter $29.29 per month, with 198 scholars, 108 males and 90 females, the tuition costing 71 cents per month. Amount raised for school purposes by taxation $875.20, from the State appropriation $63.98. The National pike and Hempfield railroad passes through this township. It contains one fulling mill, one woollen factory, one flouring mill, one grist-mill, and four saw-mills. Greatest length of this township is 6 miles, breadth 3 miles.
The boundary lines between this and Chartiers changed August term, 1863.
# # #
Source: HISTORY of WASHINGTON COUNTY, From Its First Settlements to the Present Time, second edition, revised and corrected by Alfred Creigh, LL.D., Harrisburgh, Pa., B. Singerly, Printer, 1871. Reprinted 1987 Closson Press, Publishers.